Thursday, September 2, 2010

Why Fairytales...?


Entering my sophomore year, I was basically looking for a class to cover requirements.  That is when I found this class!  It is very intriguing to me to learn about different folktales and similarities and differences amongst them.  Growing up I have always loved children’s stories and movies, but have only heard one version of most of them.  For example, some time in elementary school, I remember reading the story, “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs”.  This story just blew my mind!  I could not imagine the way I heard the story up to then was not right...the whole time, of course I knew it was fictional, but it still seemed so real.  It made me think, are all the stories I know not real? This really intrigued me to take the class as it will hopefully bring new perspectives to the stories I know and love from my childhood. 
“The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” Wikipedia Page with Short Summary
I am hoping through this class to gain an understanding of many fairytales I know and the histories and versions of them.  Currently, I feel one-sided in my knowledge of these stories, but in reality, there are many sides to a story, such as “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” and I am hoping to learn them.
My favorite fairy tale of all time is probably “The Beauty and the Beast”.  When I was young I always loved the Disney version of the story, not having heard other versions.  It  teaches that there is more to someone than first appearance and impression, and doing what is expected of you may not always be right.  By not marrying the egotistical local hero in the town, Belle, the heroine, breaks the code of what others have done before and what they expect of her.  She is heroic in taking her father’s place as prisoner to the Beast, and eventually, falls in love with him.  It taught me many lessons growing up, to be brave, selfless, and understanding of people’s differences as first impressions and appearance are not completely defining of a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment